Causes of itching in the vagina and how to treat and manage this condition. Vaginal itching is a common and annoying disorder in single and married women. This prompts women to search for treatments and measures that help relieve them. It is worth noting that vaginal itching is a common symptom of many vaginal disorders and diseases, as the severity of this itching varies according to the cause that leads to it and the personal habits of the affected woman, so what are the causes of itching in the vagina? This question will be answered in this article through a content site, in the coming lines.
Causes of itching in the vagina
The causes of itching in the vagina and the most important diseases and disorders accompanying them. There are many diseases that pretend to be vaginal itching, which is bothersome and embarrassing for women at the same time. The causes of itching in the vagina can be summarized as follows:
Bacterial vaginosis is a type of common infection in the female reproductive system, this inflammation results from the exaggerated reproduction of a group of bacteria that are naturally present in the female reproductive system, but an imbalance in the mucous membrane or pH pushes it to previous abnormal reproduction and infection with Bacterial vaginosis is called bacterial vaginosis, and this infection usually manifests with vaginal itching and the appearance of a group of accompanying symptoms such as heavy secretions with an unpleasant smell and dark color, which are foamy in texture and smell like the smell of fish.
Sexually transmitted diseases
Sexually transmitted diseases manifest with a group of symptoms such as itching, ulcers, and foul-smelling secretions, in addition to the poor psychological state and mood swings that affect the social and family status of the patient, and the most important of these diseases are:
- Chlamydia: It can be said that chlamydia infection is one of the most important infections that affect the vagina, and it is transmitted through unprotected sexual relations.
- Genital herpes: Genital herpes is caused by the type 2 genital herpes virus. In most cases, genital herpes is characterized by severe and painful itching and sores in the mucous membrane lining the female genital area.
- Genital warts: Genital warts are defined as viral infection that appears in different parts of the body due to the presence of certain viruses. Genital warts are accompanied by itching in the vaginal area.
- Trichomoniasis: Trichomoniasis is caused by the presence of Trichomonas vaginalis in the mucous membrane lining the vagina, and causes severe itching and a heavy and foul-smelling discharge.
Vaginal mycosis is one of the common disorders that women appear to have, especially in the event of a lack of immunity or the unwise use of disinfectants for sensitive areas. Vaginal and the appearance of a white thickening on the mucous membrane of the vagina.
Itching associated with menopause
A woman’s body undergoes a series of changes throughout her life, and the blood concentration of female hormones such as estrogen and progesterone decreases, and these hormonal changes are clearly reflected on the woman’s body, as the vagina becomes dry and atrophic, then dehydration is accompanied by clear itching, burning and pain in the lower genital area, and it is worth noting that This itching may be so severe that the woman should see a doctor to get rid of it in the appropriate way.
Some women overuse vaginal washes, deodorants, creams and other materials that contain not a small percentage of chemicals, which negatively affects the vaginal mucosa and its acid balance. Similar to the above, it mainly depends on the type of condom material.
Lichen planus is considered one of the most important chronic disorders that affect women and is associated with itching and skin lesions that may appear in the genital area. The patient is disturbed by its inappropriate shape and the accompanying symptoms such as itching, skin irritation and the characteristic rash of lichen. Completely.
What is the cause of itching in the vagina of a virgin?
After talking about the causes of itching in the vagina in general, the most important causes of itching in the vagina will be discussed in the virgin, as many girls suffer from this annoying symptom, and they wonder about the reasons that can be summarized as follows:
- The use of personal care products in the sensitive area, such as disinfectants, deodorants and creams, as these products contain a high percentage of chemicals that cause irritation to the mucous membranes when excessively used.
- Urinary tract infections, the infection may pass from the urinary opening to the vaginal opening next to it; Which causes itching and obvious redness.
- Urinary system disorders such as urinary incontinence and uro-vaginal fistula (abnormal connection between the bladder and the vagina), where urine is considered an irritant, and causes damage to the vaginal mucosa upon repeated contact with it.
- Chronic skin infections such as eczema and lichen planus, as skin lesions may appear in any area of the body, and the vagina can be considered one of these areas.
- Infection with parasitic diseases such as scabies and pubic lice. The doctor notes that the patient suffers from constant itching, and notices scratches and superficial wounds on the skin in the genital area and others.
- Unstable mental state and constant mood changes, where psychogenic skin itching is an important cause of itching.
- Bacterial infections, such as the germs that cause bacterial gonorrhea, where itching is a primary symptom.
- Vulvar cancer, which is rare at young ages, presents with severe itching that does not respond to conventional treatments in addition to characteristic skin lesions.
What causes itching in the vagina of a pregnant woman?
In the context of talking about the causes of itching in the vagina, the main reasons for the appearance of this itching in pregnant women will be mentioned, as the woman’s body goes through a series of changes during pregnancy, and itching is considered one of the annoying symptoms that she faces, and the most important causes are:
- the increased amount of vaginal secretions during pregnancy; Due to the hormonal changes that the body is exposed to, and the composition of these secretions changes, which may cause irritation to the mucous and the appearance of itching.
- Transmission of infection from the urinary system to the reproductive system. Urinary tract infections are common during pregnancy due to stagnant urine and a change in its acidity.
- Fungal infection (especially Candida albicans), which increases the risk of infection during pregnancy, as a result of a woman's lack of immunity and her ability to resist various diseases.
Vaginal itching treatment
After talking about the causes of itching in the vagina in general and addressing the most important of these causes in the virgin and pregnant woman, the most important remedial measures for the previous problem will be mentioned as follows:
- Use antibiotic ointments and creams in the event of a bacterial infection in the woman.
- Taking antiviral medications or using them topically when infected with viral infections such as herpes and warts.
- Use vaginal antiseptics and sterilizers in an appropriate manner and avoid excessive use.
- Wear cotton clothes and make sure to choose loose clothing that does not rub the skin or put pressure on it.
- Pay attention to personal hygiene and clean the sensitive area on a daily basis.
- Avoid suspicious sexual relations and use condoms that protect against sexually transmitted diseases.
Here the article ends, as the causes of itching in the vagina are discussed, as well as the most important causes of the virgin and pregnant women, and finally a set of therapeutic measures that help to get rid of itching and relieve it were mentioned.